I love Donna Wilson. I love her products, I love her brand… I even love her outfits. The thing is, try as I may, I just can’t convince the boy that we should spend £70 on a cushion, not even a 100% lambswool, knitted in Scotland, grey with ebony robin, 40cm x 40cm, comes with a duck feather cushion pad, Donna Wilson cushion.
Now, I think this product is a very clever idea. These are essentially waste products – offcuts and left overs from other Donna Wilson products. Instead of throwing them away, Donna has created a whole new product with them, at minimal cost. Helping the environment, her profits and my ability to get my hands on a Donna Wilson product for a lot less than £70 – it’s a win-win-win!
The first step was to carefully cut around the pre-sewn monster body, about a centimetre away from the stitching all the way around.
Next I turned the monster body inside out (or the right way round) and filled it with the stuffing – and amazingly it all fit in there!
Then (with my very basic sewing skills!), I sewed up the hole, and voila, a monster body…
Now the fun begins. The next step is to use the bits and bobs provided to create eyes, ears, nose(s), legs, arms etc. Luckily, there were a few ideas on the box to get the creative juices flowing…
I tried a few different options before deciding what my monster was going to look like…
I decided to turn my monster up-side-down to give him legs and use some of the offcuts from cutting out the body itself to give him ears and a tail…
I found some buttons in my travel sewing kit that I used for eyes and used the spiky blue bit of felt from the kit as hair…
And then finally I made him a little pocket from Donna Wilson’s famous ‘blah blah’ fabric, to keep his spare parts in. And the Blah Blah Pocket Monster was born!
You may also enjoy:
- here’s one I made earlier :: graphic design with Anthony Burrill
- here’s one I made earlier :: yellow owl workshop
- here’s one I made earlier :: screenprinting
- here’s one I made earlier :: cyanotype
- https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.212650742117000.45664.181947435187331 (all the photos)
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/26481234@N05/ (Monsters and more)
- http://donnawilsonsblog.blogspot.com/ (Donna Wilson’s blog)
- http://www.facebook.com/pages/Donna-Wilson/162673370414516 (Donna Wilson on Facebook)
- http://www.itsnicethat.com/articles/donna-wilson (Donna Wilson on It’s Nice That)
- http://ariannainteriors.blogspot.com/2011/02/one-to-watch-donna-wilson.html (Donna Wilson on Arianna Interiors)